Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

As many of you know Chris has his own personal blog and one of this entries was on Lent.  It was so good that I thought that I would share his post on here:

As we enter the season of lent we start to think of what we will give up. Each year I contemplate something that I can easily do without. I think in the past I have given something up because it’s what you are supposed to do. I don’t think I’ve ever truly embraced the idea of lent. Lent is to be a time of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. I’ve always just given up sweets, tea, and junk food.

2010 was a very interesting year for me. I had changes in my life good, bad, and indifferent. I lost great friends and made great new friends. We had deaths and births. It wasn’t really different than any other year, it just felt more monumental. I guess as I get older things mean more to me, that has been weighing on me as I have thought about lent this year.

It was Easter of 2007 when our Pastor Britt gave one of the most influential sermons I have ever heard. He made me realize what I was running from and what I wasn’t wanting to hear. Since that day I have tried to be a better husband, brother, son, and friend. I have had good times and I have had bad. Here we are again just a few shorts days from Lent 2011, the Lenten study groups have started forming, flyers are up in the halls at church. Again I’m forced to think about how this year will be different.
As most of you know I am a very picky eater. I eat cow, pig, chicken and pizza. I come by this honestly, it’s all my moms fault. Ask her about the breakfast sausage and she will accept the blame for my poor eating habits. I don’t eat salads, mushrooms, peppers, or just about anything else that doesn’t walk or fly. That’s why I’ve decided to give up meat for lent. I can’t think of a bigger sacrifice for me than the food group that sustains me. Every time I eat during lent I will be reminded of why I’m eating what I eat. I will think of Jesus, who came to earth to free us of our sins. I will be thankful to Jesus for everything that has been provided for us.


This year as you are thinking about what you will give up make sure it’s something you will miss. Remember why you are doing it. Remember who you are doing it for. Remember the real reason you are able to give anything up.

No comments: