Monday, March 11, 2013

One day

For the past several months I have been attempting to run.  I started back in August but since January I've been trying to run more constantly.  If you would have asked me three months ago if I thought that I could run for 30 minutes I would have laughed at you.  But yesterday I officially ran for 30 minutes straight!  This is a huge accomplishment for me since I have never been an athletic person.  I don't consider myself a runner yet since I'm extremely slow but hopefully one day I can call myself that.  I've decided to do my first 5K next month in Tulsa.  I wanted to do a fun 5K so I'm going to do the Color Run.  I may have to crawl across the finish line to finish but one way or another I'm going to do it!  I think the thing that is really holding my running back are my shin splints.  I'm not really sure what else I can do for them but my left shin hurts so bad sometimes that it feels like it's broken.  I've been professionally fitted for running shoes and I have inserts.  I do all of the stretches for shin splints but it my be something that I just have to get use to.  If there are any runners out there that have any advice please leave me a comment.  Chris has been training for the Hogeye half marathon.  I've been so proud of how hard he is working towards his goals.  He's lost 70 pounds and he's up to running 9 miles!  He's been such an inspiration to some many people and especially to me!! So if you've been wondering why I haven't updated the blog in awhile that's one of the reasons why.  Hopefully there will be a blog post soon with pictures from my first 5K!
I look like an old lady wearing compression sleeves!
I highly recommend compression sleeves to anyone who has shin splints!!  This is one of the only reasons I have been able to keep running.

No comments: